The web desktop Xenon released version Alpha2 today. The release announcement from the website reads:
"Changes from Alpha include many security fixes (including SQL injection), the addition of the Chatroom app,
Pictures app, width autoscaling, new tab launching, easier installation and various visual tweaks.
Please either use the online version, or download to your server. Please help by submitting bugs, patches,
new apps, icons, etc to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you."
Xenon is a web desktop, which means that all your applications, work and settings are stored on the web.
It can be run from any Internet-connected computer by browsing to the Xenon server or from your own server
(in the case that you want a private instance, or want it installed into a netbook in the case where you do
not have Internet connectivity). Eventually syncing support will be brought in which allows you to sync your
settings and files to and from your local instance and the main server. Other features currently available include:
* Audio player (featuring HTML5 Vorbis audio)
* Video player (featuring HTML5 Theora video)
* Picture viewer
* Email (including within Xenon and outgoing email)
* Chatroom (Public, open to all on the same instance)
* Notes application
* Friends application for social features
* My Files, to upload various types of file
* Wallpaper switcher
Upcoming features include:
* Settings syncing and importing
* A small footprint netbook/touchbook operating system to run on
* Many others
To try the system out for yourself, you can try the demo or download the software to your server.
Please send patches, icons, ideas, apps, et al to email@example.com
The project's website is at http://xenon.kevinghadyani.com or a shorter version: http://hackerlanes.com